Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Exercise and Diet

Exercise and Diet:

Recently I have had an awakening regarding the importance of a healthy diet.  I have always exercised and always watched my diet.  That being said I would occasionally give in to cravings and didn’t always watch the sodium and preservative content of the foods I was consuming.

Until about two years ago I used to run three or four times a week and lift weights three times a week all while being “pretty good” with my diet.  Despite all of this exercise, my body didn’t make any substantial changes.  Sure, exercise kept my cardiovascular system in good shape and I was toned – to a point - but my abs continued hide under a thin layer of “stuff”.

I always suspected that the flaws in my diet, regardless of how insignificant that they seemed were what was holding me back from making the changes that I desired.  Mind you, I am not a superficial person but I was aware that the same dietary faults that were preventing me from seeing my abs were also contributing to the stuffed, tired and bloated feeling that I was experiencing after most of my meals.  I guess that when I see a fit person with defined abs I assume that they feel good versus feeling the way I did.

Aside from these personal revelations, Sandra Blackie, fitness guru and friend of my office once told me that the way we appear physically is about 75% diet and 25% exercise.   Over the last few months I have made the effort to implement this idea. 

I began a purification diet that involved Standard Process Supplements combined with a complete cleaning of my diet.  I eliminated all foods that contained preservatives, dairy (which I knew for years made me ill), processed sugars and starches.  What a dramatic change!  I have leaned out considerably, I don’t get sick after meals anymore and I have more energy to do my exercise.

I look at all those years of running and lifting weights and think how most of that effort was wasted by my poor diet.  I guess I learned that I should listen to authority figures regarding my conditioning much like I expect my chiropractic patients to listen to my recommendations regarding my treatment for their neck pain, back pain, headaches, etc. 



Writers Bio

Dr. Steven R. Jones is a licensed Chiropractor in the state of California. He received his doctorate from Palmer College of Chiropractic-West in Sunnyvale, California. Dr. Jones has treated his patients for over 15 years at his own San Diego Chiropractic practice.

Dr. Jones is accepting new patients and would be happy to consult with you regarding your chiropractic needs.

Call Steve Jones at

(619) 280 0554

San Diego Chiropractic


Ergonomic Office Equipment Website to learn more about or Buy Ergo Nav, the Ergonomic Mouse Pad
or Visit Ergonomic Blog, "Ergonomically Yours" And read the latest News in the Ergonomic World.

Better Health Steve Jones