Friday, April 9, 2010

Yoga and Chiropractic

Yoga and Chiropractic

My sister is a long time chiropractic patient.  Not my patient, she lives 700 miles away from my chiropractic practice in San Diego, so she does not get free care from her little brother, she has to pay for it.

About ten years ago, my sister took up Yoga – about nine years ago she called me one day and said “Hey Steve, this Yoga thing is great, I bet that if all of your patients took up Yoga that they wouldn’t need you anymore!”  I actually took this as a compliment because I had originally encouraged her to do Yoga – and now she was feeling better because of it.

While I know that the practice of Yoga is a wonderful method for keeping your muscles stretched and your spine flexible, it is a compliment for chiropractic, not a substitute.

Many of my peers consider my philosophy regarding the management of my chiropractic patients a bit odd.  Instead of placing my patients on long term care programs, I prefer to get my patients out of pain as quickly as possible and then give them a combination of stretches and exercises that they can do at home that will help stabilize their area of pain.

Those of you who have not tried Yoga should do so.  Yoga is a discipline that constantly challenges your physical being.  The positions used in Yoga routines test your body and mind with combinations of stretching, strength training and balance that very few other disciplines can offer.

From a purely physical standpoint, Yoga helps even your muscle tone, improve your balance and coordination, build strength, prevent injury, focus your breathing, improve your posture and elongate muscles.  Mentally, Yoga allows to focus on the “now” which helps reduce stress and consequently, reduce muscle spasms among other things.

It is because of all of the benefits of Yoga that I recommend it to most of my friends and patients.   Combining the benefits of Chiropractic care’s ability to break down scar tissue and adhesions that limit or alter normal joint motion and Yoga’s benefits as discussed above makes for an exceptional approach to treating neck pain, back pain and many other musculoskeletal conditions that I see in my office.


Writers Bio

Dr. Steven R. Jones is a licensed Chiropractor in the state of California. He received his doctorate from Palmer College of Chiropractic-West in Sunnyvale, California. Dr. Jones has treated his patients for over 15 years at his own San Diego Chiropractic practice.

Dr. Jones is accepting new patients and would be happy to consult with you regarding your chiropractic needs.

Call Steve Jones at

(619) 280 0554

San Diego Chiropractic


Ergonomic Office Equipment Website to learn more about or Buy Ergo Nav, the Ergonomic Mouse Pad
or Visit Ergonomic Blog, "Ergonomically Yours" And read the latest News in the Ergonomic World.

Better Health Steve Jones